Monday, January 22, 2018

BEAUTY: Clothing--Ann Demeulemeester

OK, I can't help it, I adore Sébastien Meunier’s Fall Winter 18-19 collection for Ann Demeulemeester shown at Paris Fashion Week. It hits me in my weak spot: Romantic, historical clothing that takes me back to my own New Romantic days in the 80s. Demeulemeester has always been a highly lyrical designer and Meunier is certainly carrying on her aesthetic after her departure from her own house four years ago. I adore the swashbuckling sense, the exaggerated cuffs, the tops held together with leather lacing, the braided sashes and long pirate belts...and THOSE TALL BOOTS! *swoon*

The officail inspiration for the collection turns out to be William Blake’s SONGS OF INNOCENCE AND EXPERIENCE, written and illustrated between 1789 and 1794. Meunier used the book’s faded color cover on a velvet-ribboned tank worn with an undone blouse and buttoned breeches. But what I really love is that this eighteenth century moment is blended with hair on hide coats giving a wild edge to the collection, just like the New Romantics of the 80s (Adam Ant blended 18th century clothing with Native American influences).


https://www.anndemeulemeester.com/

No comments: